Sunday, April 29, 2007

Halong Bay, Vietnam









Left Monday morning for a 3 day, 2 night cruise and kayaking adventure excursion to Halong Bay. I used a company called Handspan (www.handspan.com). Our group was relatively small - 12 people total, which is a huge positive. On the first day we stayed on the boat and explored some caves. That night we stayed on the boat in the middle of the harbour. The next morning (Tuesday) we took the boat way out in the bay where there were no tourists (thank God) and started our kayaking. The scenery was unbelievable - i hope the pictures can do this justice but not really. We spent a few hours in the morning in the kayaks, took a swim and lunch break then more kayaking. We were able to kayak into several lagoons and also into another lagoon via a 250 yard cave that was pitch black dark and filled with bats. We then took the boat to Cat Ba island to spend the night.

2 comments:

The Dixons said...

WOW!!! Halong Bag is gorgeous. What an adventure to kayak around and under those rock formations and the bat-filled caves. Was is spooky?? I was trying to recall--have you ever kayaked before? I love it and much prefer it to canoeing. So much quicker and more manageable. We love you--Mom & Dad

Unknown said...

What a fascinating adventure! It's a part of the world I don't know -- except Hong Kong. I could ride the Star Ferry for days at a time. Now we've both had tea at the Peninsula. You have posted fabulous photos. In theory, I have subscribed to your "feed" but I'm not sure I'll know what to do to find it. I'm very proud of you for organizing this trip. I'll keep checking in to make sure I don't miss anything. Eat as many strange things as you find. Lots of Love, Lou