Thursday, May 10, 2007

Hoi An, Vietnam










I arrived in Hoi An on Sunday early afternoon, flew directly from Hanoi to Da Nang. Then took a quick hotel shuttle about 30 minutes to Hoi An. Hoi An was one of Southeast Asia's major international ports from the 17th to 19th centuries. And from the 2nd to the 10th centuries it was the heartland of the Kingdom of Champa. Several remarkable facts about Hoi An - in the late 19th century, the Thu Bon River, which linked Hoi An with the sea, silted up and it was the first place in Vietnam to be exposed to Christianity. Also, the city was completely undamaged by the "American War." Hoi An is also near the UNESCO heritage site, My Son, the ancient capital of the kingdon of Champa. Today Hoi An is a charming riverside town that is primarily known for one thing - tailor made clothing. On Tuesday I met up with Michael and Thomas from my SaPa trek and then departed Wednesday mid-day for Saigon (HCM City).

2 comments:

The Dixons said...

Bro,
I am loving the pictures! I am hoping the rain has finally stopped...I must ask...did you have any clothes tailor made? I hope so...Is the food the same in each city of Vietnam or do they have different cuisines...tell me more about what you are eating...

Random-I ran into Molly Felts...she says Hi!

Love you lots!

Suzie & David

Sarah said...

Laughing outloud at your Same Same tshirts. Saw those constantly in Cambodia.

So glad you're enjoying yourself!

Loving your blog!
Sarah.