Friday, May 11, 2007

Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), Vietnam










I finally arrived in Saigon on Wednesday evening after a short diversion to Cambodia due to weather. It is the wet season in the south and it has rained every day. On Thursday I took a day trip down to the Mekong Delta. The Mekong river originates in the Tibetan plateau, flowing 4500 km through China, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. The Mekong Delta yields a majority of Vietnam's rice production. And since over 70% of the working population in Vietnam is involved in the rice process that makes the delta pretty darn important. On Friday I took a half-day trip to the Cu Chi tunnels. At one point the Cu Chi tunnel system stretched from the South Vietnamese capital to the Cambodian border; in the district of Cu Chi alone there are over 250 km of tunnels. We did get to crawl through several tunnels and I got to realize my life long goal of firing an AK47 for just a few bucks. Friday afternoon I visited the Reunification Palace (the fomer HQ of the South Vietnamese Government) and the War Remnants Museum (formerly named the Museum of Chinese and American War Crimes). As you can imagine in a communist state, the information is slightly slanted in favor of the Vietnamese. If you ever find yourself in Saigon, I suggest the Rooftop Bar at the Rex Hotel and Saigon Saigon at the Caravelle Hotel for nightlife.

4 comments:

The Dixons said...

Hey son--after your Sa Pa update, I thought how can he top that? Then I see that you are crawling thru tunnels in the Mekong Delta and shooting AK47's. What's next?? All I can say is--what an adventure!! Your commentary is so informtive and descriptive with your historical info and personal impressions that we feel a part of your journey.
Love you--Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

I feel like you are leading me through SE Asia...please keep sending more about your journey, great to see you in the pictures, the beard looks great,Travel safe.

Love ya,

Uncle Bob

Unknown said...

It's Brandon S! I had no clue that you were in asia. that's sweet! send me some emails and pics.
God Bless,
Brandon

Unknown said...

I just found this and am fascinated.